Spring 2011 Home Decor Trends: Straight from the Catwalk to your Abode
Who says fashion trends can’t be applied to home décor? In fact it’s the ‘IN’ thing these days to translate the latest fashion trends into funky chic home décor. So if you are bored with your same old dreary looking home, take inspiration from the catwalk and use the year’s hottest trends to jazz up your decor instantly!
So what do we know from the Spring/Summer 2011 hottest Fashion Trends? Following are the trends that are “IN” and the designers who featured them in their superb Spring/ Summer 2011 collections:
- Lace (Dolce & Gabbana, Issa, Erdem)
- Sheer fabrics (Alberta Ferretti, Jean Paul Gaultier, Christian Dior)
- Floral prints (Christian Dior, Marc Jacobs and Carolina Herrera’s collections)
- Animal prints (Burberry, Dolce & Gabbana and Rebecca Taylor’s collections)
- Pajamas (Sass & Bide, Dolce & Gabbana)
- Cowboy Fringe (Robert Cavalli, Versace, Chanel, Ralph Lauren)
- Bright and bold colors (Christian Dior, Versace, Prada, Missoni, Issa)
- Pure White (Tommy Hilfiger, Ralph Lauren, Gianfranco Ferre)
- Minimalism (Kalvin Klein, Paul Smith)
So the million dollar question is HOW do you take these amazing trends and incorporate them into your home?
Bright & Bold Colors
Let’s start with colors. The really “in” colors that you must make a point to add to your home décor are:
- Bright shades of Pink (Honeysuckle, Hot)
Forget the boring pastels. These playful colors can liven up your décor instantly. You don’t necessarily have to use the colors dramatically or in a big way; you can even just accent your décor with them here and there if you’re not too big on bright colors. You can add these lively colors to your:
- Bedroom or living room walls (there’s nothing more revitalizing than a vibrantly colored room)
- Upholstery and drapery
- Table linen and place mats
- Kitchen cabinets and counters
- Shower curtains and towels
- Floral arrangements
- Wall hangings
- Accessories (candles etc)
Putting it simply, minimalism in terms of furnishing your home means ‘less is more.’ The idea is to create a sense of open space by removing all the clutter and keeping it very simple. This is where the ‘Pure White’ trend also comes in. You can create a very chic décor by fusing whites and bold colors. Combining the two is like combining serenity with vitality. How to do it, you ask? Keep the walls and floors white and splash color here and there via funky cushions and rugs. Another create item for minimalist décor are mirrors, because they reflect light and make your room look larger than it actually is. White Kitchens look particularly elegant.
You can use sheer curtains. Not only will it look great, it will also bring in natural light into your home.
Lace is oh-so-vintage! Vintage furniture and accessories are back with a bang and can make your home look regal and lovely. You can use lace curtains, lacy cushions and doilies
This one’s easy. Floral prints are just so feminine and ‘girly’ and that’s why they are a universal favorite in most homes. You can use them for wall paper, curtains, upholstery, drapery, carpets and quite frankly, wherever you fancy. One piece of advice though. Don’t go overboard and use floral prints all around. Instead try using them as highlights. Check out 10 Great Ways to Bring the Spring 2011 Home Decor Trend into Your Home for more details
Love em’ or hate em’ animal prints are this season’s hottest trend. Personally I think animal prints work best with upholstery and rugs. By the way bright colors work very well with animal prints.
No, you don’t have to hang a pajama from your walls! The idea is use pajama fabrics and prints in your décor; meaning silks and stripes. Contrary to looking casual, pajama dressing actually adds elegance to your décor. This trend works particularly well for bedrooms.
So tell me ladies. Inspired yet?
- Catwalk Images: Source millionlooks.com
- Animal Print by Home Décor Itl
- Pajama home trend by Lettered Cottage
- Red kitchen by Kitchen Colors
- Floral home trends source blog.terrysfabrics.co.uk
- Hot pink wall source Njmonthly.com
- White living room source iransdesigns.com